Tuesday, 7 July 2009

American Passport for your Baby Born in the UK

One of the first things you'll need to take care of after your baby is born (and you're feeling up to snuff) is to apply for your baby's passport. This is not something you can do by mail or online. You will be required to go in person either to the embassy or your nearest consulate. Here's a little step-by-step guide from the website of the US Embassy in London. This site will give you the up-to-date info on what you need to bring with you to the appointment depending on where you live. For visa info for your baby, see the next post.


You will be asked to show a marriage certificate. If you do not have a copy with you, you should be able to obtain one from the county you were married in for a minimal fee and have it mailed to you.

You will be asked to show a "long copy" of your baby's birth certificate. This must be obtained at a register office within 3 weeks (Scotland) or 6 weeks (England/Wales) of your baby's birth. This website should provide all the information you need. The "long copy" is referring to the copy you have to pay for, as opposed to the "short copy" you receive for free.

The application for your child's passport will automatically include the application for a Social Security Number and a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. You don't have to make any additional appointments.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment